India is one of the best nations which offers world-class education to the students. It is a vast nation with expansive cities, serene countryside, wide-open industrial areas. India rightfully deserves the title of a sub-continent. The country became independent in 1947 and today it is one of the major Asian power and is not much behind to be a world power. India offers a bridge between east and west and has positive relations with Russia, and The United States alike.
Why Choose India?
The Education system of India is the second-largest Higher Education System in the world. It has more than 800 universities along with 39,000 colleges and the capacity to enroll more than 20 million students at once. The nation offers courses and degrees that the world values and have competitive market value in terms of quality. India offers value-for-money education by offering studies at one-fourth the total cost.
The Indian education system has various academic offerings – from modern and cutting-edge to the traditional value system. The vibrant and diverse quality of students and degrees gives exposure to the latest innovations in science and technology. It also includes Virtual and augmented reality, AI, and cognitive computing. The traditional subjects include Yoga, Ayurveda, Sanskrit, and classical dances. This diversification allows students to explore enhanced opportunities and global learning for overall development. The fastly developing IT and Services sector gave a boost to placement-oriented education. Now more than about 200 of the Fortune 500 companies hire students from Indian campuses regularly.
India is also a shining economic power that has a flourishing and diverse economy. India is the 5th largest economy in the world and one of the largest democracies. There are various Indian brands like Indian Oil, Reliance Industries, and State Bank of India (SBI), which heavily contribute to the ever-growing economy. Various startups like Flipkart, Ola, and PayTM are quite innovative and add up to India’s glorious growth on the world stage.
There are many Indian cities as well famous for their entrepreneurial nature and technological advancements like Banglore and Hyderabad. These are some of the most dynamic cities in the world. Indian Higher Education is mostly delivered in English medium. This makes the medium of communication comfortable enough to communicate which is beneficial for overseas students.
The rich cultural background and incredible history of the nation along with the beautiful landscape from the Great Himalayas to the rocks of Kanyakumari make the country a perfect region to explore. There is the great Rann of Kutch in the west, the abode of clouds in the east, the wildlife, beaches, and never-ending cuisines that will make your stay in India during the academic year worthwhile.
Various Indian universities have luxurious natural campuses and are a host of festivals and events. There are countless opportunities to experience local culture and traditions that will make your campus life more exciting. India is a perfect place that will offer you exposure to cultures, art, and tradition, heritage, history, invention, and creativity, and of course the complex education system.
Indian Higher Education
Undergraduate and Bachelor’s Level
● The UG Level or Bachelor’s degree can be obtained under 3 years of study.
● This includes Bachelor’s in Arts (B.A.), Bachelor’s in Science (B.Sc.), and Bachelor’s in Commerce (B.Com.).
● There are many professional courses as well like engineering (B.E., B.Tech.), Dentistry (M.D.), and Pharmacy (B.Pharma.). These can range from 4 to 5 years.
● Students’ eligibility criteria include a passing certificate of 10+2 years of schooling.
Post Graduate or Master’s Level
● The PG Level courses are of 2 years duration.
● It can be pursued once a student completes the Bachelor’s degree.
Doctoral Studies/ Ph.D. Level
This level of Education includes research work under a guide and submitting the thesis.
● M.Phil courses take about 18 months to 2 years for their completion.
● Ph.D. programs are a minimum of 3 years and can also take more than that.
Certificate and Diploma courses
● These are short-term courses and only take about 6 months to a year for their completion.
● Many universities and colleges offer these part-time and full-time courses.
Plan Your Studies
Indian government grants student visas to the individuals who seek to study at an official recognized education institution. This will include – Yoga, Vedic Culture, and the Indian Classical System.
● Students just need to show student admission/registration documents from the institution.
● Students from Nepal and Bhutan do not need visas to enroll in academic activities.
India grants a student visa for a duration of 5 years. It can also depend on the duration of your course of study. India gives visas:
● To the foreign students who come to India to pursue regular (and full-time) academic courses in the country.
● To students coming in for Industrial training, summer project, and internships.
● There is a provisional student visa s well for 6 months, especially for students who are exploring admission or giving admission tests.
● Applicant should present proof of admission and evidence of financial assistance.
● The foreigner student must submit a “No Objection Certificate” from the Ministry of Health. It is needed in case of admission in medical or Para-medical courses.
● If a partner is accompanying the student, the applicant must apply for an Entry Visa as well.
Fees for Student Visa
● Student Visa fees depend on the country you are from. It can be a minimal amount of $13 or a maximum of $118.
The Study in India Scholarship is a perfect opportunity for meritorious students who want to pursue higher education in the country. The scholarship will cover tuition fees, accommodation expenses, and food costs. USD 3500 would be the amount of scholarship, each student will get. If there are any extra expenses, students will pay them themselves.
The allocation of SIS is done on the basis of an examination – PRAGATII. This is a standard examination conducted in an online mode. The scores of students will be the criteria to qualify for the scholarship.
The scholarship by the Study in India has a maximum period:
● Scholarship of 5 years for undergraduate or Bachelor’s integrated courses.
● Scholarship of 3 or 4 years for undergraduate courses, depending on the duration of your course.
● 2 years for postgraduate courses
● Scholarships for students till they complete their courses.
Note: Scholarships are given to students who apply for undergraduate and postgraduate courses only. Ph.D. courses are not covered under scholarships.
Tuition Fee Waiver
Fees Waivers are concessions on tuition fees offered by the Study in India partner institutes to the student overseas. India has offered more than 90,000 fee waivers across 164 education institutions. The number of fee waivers available will depend on the institutions only. These concessions will not include accommodation and canteen costs, which are to be paid by the students themselves under fee waiver.
The foreign students who do not get scholarships are qualified for receiving fee waivers offered in the given 4 categories.
Type of Tuition fees waiver
Tuition fees that students have to pay
To be borne by students.
To be borne by students.
To be borne by students
To be born by the students.
● This examination was previously known as the Ind-Sat examination.
● PRAGATII means Performance Rating of Applicants through Global Aptitude Test for Indian Institutes.
Mock Test 1
Mock Test 2
Plan Your Stay
India offers one of the most affordable living standards. This is economically viable for Foreign Exchange students. Various competitive degrees are available in the institutes across a plethora of disciplines. Students must make sure that they connect with their university/college to understand the intricacies of the admission like tuition fees, boarding costs, and other expenses.
On-Campus and Off-Campus boarding are available in the partnering institutes for international students. It is possible that students may not get campus accommodation as a part of their facilities. Institutes offer to guide students to book private and secure accommodations.
A public transport network can be used on a daily basis to travel around the city. There are plenty of affordable restaurants as well to explore Indian cuisine.
There are numerous scholarships and tuition fee waivers available to award meritorious students in India. Study in India collaborated with the Indian Ministry of Education, Ministry of External Affairs and Ministry of Commerce and Industry to come up with this scheme. Many institutes offer scholarships while some offer tuition fee waivers annually.
● Qualified students will get a scholarship of USD 3500 per annum.
● Scholarships will be based on the merit list. The evaluation process will be completed along with the document verification process.
There are various fee waiver schemes available. More than 30,000 tuition fee waivers are distributed to deserving candidates. They range between – 100%, 50%, and 25%. The cost will only be covered for one academic session only.
1) What are the per-year living expenses of overseas students?
The average cost for a foreign student is around USD 5500 per year. The average Tuition fees will depend on the institute you enroll yourself into, whether it is public or private. The cost of living would be around USD 2500 depending on the living standards one may pursue and the city they study in.
2) How can one qualify for the Study India Scholarships?
To become eligible for these SII scholarships, candidates will have to register with SII and fill out the complete application form. They also should connect with an SII-partner institute. One can get scholarships on the following basis:
● International students must have a commendable academic performance in their secondary school or higher secondary school. The latest academic qualifications will be counted.
● Students of the eligible countries on the website can appear for the PRAGATII exam. SII team conducts this examination in an online mode. The merit list is generated for the second round of shortlisting to finalize the candidates.
3) Is there any registration fees to appear for PRAGATII exam?
There is no payment as such to appear for the PRAGATII exam. But you must submit your application to SII to become eligible to write this examination. Students will receive the notifications regarding applications for the examination via an email or a notice which will be displayed on the student dashboard.
4) What are the benefits of studying in India with SII?
Study India is a project in collaboration with the Ministry of Education, Government of India. This program connects the students worldwide and also helps them to get the best education possible in the world-famous premier institutes of India.
● This program provides around 2000+ scholarships which have a market value of USD 3500 per student per annum for an academic year.
● The institutes in collaboration also offer tuition fee waivers, depending on 25%, 50%, and 100%.
● There are consultations as well available for students to support those who are applying for these scholarships.
● The program also offers 24/7 calls to help students and clarify their queries throughout the admission process that is from registration to the final admission in college/university.
5) What is the medium of instruction followed at Indian universities?
Most Indian Universities use English as the medium of instruction/communication. Some institutions may also conduct a separate exam to examine your English proficiency skills.
6) Can I pursue medical courses with the help of the Study in India Scholarships?
The Study in India and its partner institutes only offer allied medical sciences courses. These include Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Nursing, Medical laboratory, Technology, all within the medical education world. India is also home to various medical colleges which offer superior quality and reasonable medical education. But SII is not in partnership with such medical institutes as of now.